Sunday, March 23, 2008

Picacho Peak, Arizona


Picacho Peak Park is about 40 miles north of Tucson in the Sonoran Desert. Picacho Peak itself is an amazingly shaped lava extrusion that sits on the flat plain like a clipper ship in full sail - it ascends 1500 ft above the desert floor. The park is very well cared for with lots of shaded picnic tables spread out off of side roads. We found one we liked and I set up my easel for a painting session. This is the painting I did looking from Picacho Park towards the Picacho Mountains. I was facinated by the geology and the sweeping lines of rock strata that were revealed in different colors. It was blazing hot and there was a heat haze which I put into my painting - I hope you feel the heat!
This entry completes my Arizona paintings and I will now do a number of postings about my New Mexico painting times, of which there have been many, as I love the New Mexico landscape and clouds and sky.